A crown is an artificial restoration that fits over the remaining part of a prepared tooth, making it strong and giving it the shape and appearance of a natural tooth.
These can be made from Porcelain, Gold, Porcelain fused to precious metal and now the new all ceramic crowns where there is no metalwork at all and have a natural translucency similar to teeth. The choice depends on the desired outcome both functionally and aesthetically.
In constructing a crown, about 1-2mm is trimmed off the tooth, and a mould is taken in a highly accurate impression material. A Temporary crown is made in a plastic material (for a front tooth) or a soft metal (for a posterior tooth). A mould of the opposing teeth is also taken so that the laboratory technician knows how your teeth meet together. The Crown is eventually fitted to the to the tooth with a hard cement.
Porcelain fused to metal crown
All ceramic crown (note the translucency and lack of metal)
- Porcelain Bonded Crown (Precious metal)from £581
- All Ceramic Crown (IPS E-max)from £609
- All Ceramic Crown (Zirconium)from £625
- Gold Shell Crownfrom £581
- Titanium Postfrom £113
- Porcelain Bonded Crown (Precious metal)from £81
- All Ceramic Crown (IPS E-max)from £90
- All Ceramic Crown (Zirconium)from £106
- Gold Shell Crownfrom £106
- Titanium Post
Denplan Essentials 10% Off
- Porcelain Bonded Crown (Precious metal)from £523
- All Ceramic Crown (IPS E-max)from £548
- All Ceramic Crown (Zirconium)from £564
- Gold Shell Crownfrom £523
- Titanium Postfrom £100